Saturday 2 June 2018

ALLERGIES, MOSQUITOS AND BAROQUE CITY OF NOTO - Days 37 & 38


ALLERGIES, MOSQUITOS AND BAROQUE CITY OF NOTO – 31 May and 1 June, Days 37 & 38
After a few days in Sicily I was already experiencing the allergies which I had from childhood, and which in England was always during June and July and called hay fever. Living close to the sea, or on the sea has always helped, also living in dry climates like South East Spain. There were always specific plants, trees, cat fur and dust which together trigged the reaction. Hay, cut grass, privet and cow parsley were always strong triggers. From my days in Spain I realised that orange blossom and mimosa in flower caused my problems as well as sweet evening scented small white flowers of common shrubs. Here in Sicily the sweet scented plants and fields of cut hay just behind the town have effect and I need to use my inhaler. It is also good to use Vaseline around the nostrils to collect particles which would otherwise enter my system.
Like most Mediterranean areas there are some mosquitos even in winter and I receive bits from time to time without significant reaction. However this week one bit me below the eye and over two days a large swelling has grown, partly closing my eye.
Anita is feeling the humidity in her joints. It is often 70% to 80% especially at night.

Friday 1 June saw most of the remaining wintering yachts leaving the marina. We wait for the new motor, others for other items, or they stay because of some illness of crew or distant family.

We have not taken a day off from work for weeks and did not feel like working so we drove to the fascinating Baroque city of Noto to see the famous buildings and enjoy walking the ancient streets. It is one of the most important historical places in south east Sicily, in the province of Siracusa. It was totally rebuilt after the devastating earthquake of 1693.







On the way we failed again to reach the place in Ragusa on time to fill the gas bottle. It was 12.45, and it seems they closed at 12.30. Internet shows opening hours much longer than the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment