Thursday 24 May 2018

STRESS TIME May 23 / 24 (Days 30 & 31)


STRESS TIME May 23 / 24 (Days 30 & 31)
Instead of enjoying the last few days at the marina with everything ready and waiting for the right weather to sail I have booked a day return with car to Malta (202 euros) and am checking out new outboard engine options (which will more than blow the summer cruising budget) and timing to get one shipped here as UK prices plus shipping are thought to be better than local prices. With local help I am checking here too.
I tried to order from two UK sources today, each having a problem, like having wrong specification (found out at the last moment), or not being in stock.  I can’t see us leaving by 1 June (we are paid up to the end of May – that was 8 months) and asking the marina if I might have a few free days if necessary did not get a good response. In April I took in the Parsun outboard for service to the marina boatyard, asked if it can be ready in a week, and was told it should be. There was then in my opinion a two week delay after that week before they tried to start up the motor and found the “serious” problem. In my mind without that delay there would be no stress and pressure now and I could relax and order the best option to get us out of here and start cruising.

Mostly we eat delicious food at home, mostly vegetarian.


Occasionally we buy a piece of pizza out somewhere. On Wednesday evening after a late walk we tried for the first time the recommended Imperial Restaurant in the town Piazza. 


We can’t eat a whole pizza each so shared one which was delicious, including a pumpkin sauce. At 8 euros it is good value.  Add two glasses of wine at 3 euros so we expect to pay 14 euros. I had forgotten from my 2005 circumnavigation of Sicily that in Sicily, and perhaps in mainland Italy too,  a cover charge is added. Usually some bread and water are given. The waiter asked if we wanted water, and not wanting to buy a bottle we declined. I don’t know if it was part of the service charge of 2 euros each or not.  Two euros to sit at a table for an hour is not much but this adds up over time especially for the children boats which wintered here.


So all contributions especially towards motor welcome, thank you Universe. Perhaps we will earn from blogging one day !

No comments:

Post a Comment