Thursday 5 August 2010

Excursion by ancient bus – Malta






Excursion by ancient bus – Malta

I am living in Mellieha, in the quiet north of the island of Malta, where the Maltese like to visit for weekends.

Previously I had donated my nineteen year old car to the technical college for the mechanic students to practice on, so now use the bus. That’s another story.

So in the heat of mid-morning I walked up the hill to the start of the village, and the bus stop. I hastened my step as I could hear an ancient bus struggling up the hill behind me. Was it mine? Miss it and wait twenty minutes for the next.

It was mine and I reached the stop on time. The bus was full and I thought I would be waiting for the next one anyway. But after half of the passengers had stepped off, and others had boarded, I paid my 54 euro cents for the forty minute journey to Msida Creek, just before the walled gem of a capital city, Valletta, mostly surrounded by water in the form of two harbours.

It was standing room only, all the way to Msida, and I needed to duck my head from time to time to see where we were. It was cool from the drafts from the open windows, and lack of door.

Unscathed, I walked along the edge of the creek, home to a large sheltered yacht marina, and brightly painted local fishing boats, to a shop and an office I needed to visit.

I walked back along the side of the creek, and crossed the busy main road to the bus stop. Conveniently situated at the stop is a pastry shop, so I bought the local delicacy, a ricotta cheese pastizzi for 25 cents, and ate it while waiting for the return bus.

Two things are excellent value in MALTA, bus fares, and savoury food from these prolific outlets.

Copyright David Millner
August 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment